Sunday, January 3, 2010

Here we go. . .

Tomorrow our family starts a new (but brief journey) into the world of food. Not that we haven't gone to interesting places before, but we are going to do a bit of an experiment. And although you are probably going to laugh at this, we decided to share it with you.

So after weeks of planning, we are taking three weeks to cut out major portions of our diets. Although there are many fantastic things that we can eat, it is notable for what we cannot, so I might as well just list them here. Ready. ..
  • No Gluten (which is found in wheat, rye, and barley)
  • No Sugar
  • No Caffeine
  • No Alcohol
  • No Animal products (for the grown ups, not meat or dairy, yes dairy for the kids)

I have menus planned and alternatives purchased. This is going to be very experimental. We hope it works.

But I am sure you wonder what we hope it does. . .Well, Eric just wants to drop a couple pounds. Me, on the other hand, I have a few more specific things I would like to see. I need to drop a dependence I have on C*ke--especially between 1 and 3 in the afternoon. Also, i am beginning to wonder if I am slightly intolerant of gluten. So I would like to see if after cutting it for three weeks that some problem skin areas I have clear up, my stomach flattens down and I have more energy.

I know it seems crazy--and it kinda is, but it is a nutritionally complete and responsible way to eat. We already like most of the foods already, so it's just eating more of them. Honestly, both Eric and I are a bit nervous. How will we feel those first few days? Crabby, probably. Will it really work? Will I be able to prepare enough of the right kind of food to satisfy our family--including great snacks and treats? Will this journey be so stressful that the positive health feeling just won't be worth it?

I don't know those answers. But Eric thought it would be a good idea to chronicle this--just so we have a record--of what we have done and how we have benefited (or not).

But for now, it's 10:30, only 1 1/2 more hours to eat any forbidden bread . . .

1 comment:

Meika said...

Sammy - I love it! It's time for a coffee to discuss in depth. How's your schedule?